Monday, January 7, 2008

It's never really a vacation anymore is it?

Back in the day I was fortunate enough to get to travel a couple of times a year. I loved the excitement of going some place new, or some place old to see friends. I looked forward to the time away in an airport forced to relax while I waited for the next step. In those days I carried around a sporty, baby blue, jansport with all of my school books and a few leisure books. In those days I packed my portable CD player with a few of my favorite CD's, and little else. I rarely stopped at expensive airport venues to buy drinks or food. Once I was on the plane I looked forward to a nice nap, or relaxing while I watched a movie or read a book.

I couldn't help but think this Oct. as I was running at full speed with a small superman backpack inscribed with CARSON on my back, and trying to keep from ramming others with the stroller I was pushing, how things have changed. I couldn't help but, let my eyes water up with tears as I spent six dollars on a gross hamburger, because although I had packed a pantry full of treats to feed the animals, none of it was good enough. I couldn't help from missing my books as I continuously unloaded and reloaded twenty dollars worth of toys from the dollar store from two overly packed, and very heavy, bite size back packs. And I certainly couldn't help but feel a little frustrated with the lady in front of me who gave me the look of death when she was woken from her slumber by my two year old, who despite my best efforts to drug him into a sleep, or keep him amused, was freaking out. It was at that moment that I realized that when we got homeI was going to need a vacation, from my vacation with my kids. Well I didn't get it, but I did take a nice long bath and read a book . . . for about 10 min.

1 comment:

Hillary Garner said...

ha ha...you are hilarious! I could vividly picture the scene you described, isn't it the truth! I miss you!

Hawaii

Hawaii
Why we left the kids behind